Welcome to the Williams Family Blog!

Now that you have found us, we invite you to return often for more adventures!


We Came To Play!

We Came To Play!

Opening Magic Kingdom

Opening Magic Kingdom

Thursday, August 18, 2011

How a Williams Family Blog Reader Provided a Magical Moment


 This post is dedicated to Sherry Williams from Michigan.  No, Sherry isn’t a relative, as far as I know.  But, Sherry did give me one of my most memorable moments.  It went something like this. . .

It was Tuesday, July 26, 2011, around 5:00 pm.  Our family had had been at rope drop at the Magic Kingdom that morning at 8:00 am and had been touring ever since.  We did take a break for lunch at the Crystal Palace—but I’ll tell that story another time. 

We had left the Magic Kingdom and taken the monorail to the Contemporary to eat at Chef Mickey’s.  Click here to read more about dining at Chef Mickey's.  Since we were in need of a brief break and weren’t pressed for time, we and off our feet.  



Still with time to spare, we browsed the shops on the 4th floor of the Contemporary before checking in at the Chef Mickey’s podium. This was the first time I saw the Disney 2012 calendar and knew I wanted to purchase one, and did eventually at World of Disney at Downtown Disney.

But back to the story. . . After we checked in, got our picture taken, and were waiting to be called for our table, a lady approached and said, “You’re the family from the internet.”  I was a bit surprised, but not shocked.  She told us that she had been nearby eating with her mother when she saw us and just had to come over and visit with us.  She went on the tell us her name, Sherry Williams and that she was from Michigan.  I told her I liked her name!  She recognized “the boy.”  I asked her how she had found our web-site.  She told us that she had been searching for information about the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage and our site popped up (click here to read that post).  After reading that post, she read others and found them very helpful.  Her family participated in the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage and her son got to carry the flag to the dock.  She said she wouldn’t have known about that without our site.  I thanked her for approaching us and wished her a great rest of her trip.




Sherry, if you are reading this, you made my day, well, our day.  So thank you!  My only regret is that I didn’t take your picture.  Had I taken your picture, it would be included in this post.

There were several reasons why this moment was incredible. . .
  • What is a labor of love for me and my family—this blog—helped someone else have a magical time in what we considered the most magical place on earth.  For that, I am grateful and find even more purpose in my early morning writing and sharing of stories and information.
  • Sherry provided energy and a change of tone for me and my family at that very moment.  You see, we were having a not so cohesive family feeling at that time.  We were hot, tired, hungry, and a bit grumpy.  Every other party waiting for a table had a buzzer/pager, but we didn’t and had to sit nearby to hear our name be called.  Sherry’s visit with us changed our mood and for that, I am very grateful.  The food in our bellies helped too, but it was Sherry first!  To me, that is how Disney magic operates.  It comes when you least expect it!
  • For a brief moment, I felt, well, famous, or at least how I imagine it would feel to be famous.  I have had another brief brush with fame when a producer from the Oprah show called me in the summer of 1999 about an entry that I had submitted for her book club.  I had to submit a photo, etc.  Ultimately, I wasn’t selected to be on the show, but I sure remember how thrilling it was to be in the running.

So, Sherry, thank you for adding magic to our family’s Walt Disney World vacation!  I hope you keep reading the Williams Family Blog and find it helpful.  And, most importantly, I hope you and your family had a magical Walt Disney World vacation!

2 comments:

  1. Well Hello Williams family,
    WOW! I can't believe I made it to your blog! I have to admit that I was really nervous coming up to your family, but I'm sure glad I did and made it magical for you. Once again, I want to thank you for sharing your family's experiences and information. This was our first family vacation for our son who was celebrating his 9th birthday. With all your advice and inside information (especially the character greetings), helped make his trip very special. Our son has Autism, and his main goal was to meet ALL the characters. Well as you have figured in all your trips, it takes very accurate planning to be in the right place at the right time, and with your secret charater expolsions and meeting areas and times. This information made many dreams come true for him and we can't thank you enough. So I must say, it was truely a honor meeting you. I will continue to follow this blog in hopes of getting ideas for another special trip. Have a Magical day!
    Sheri-from Wisconin (Michigan/Wisconsin they're close)LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri,
    You made my heart sing today! Thank you so much and I am so glad you had a magical first trip to Walt Disney World. I hope you have many more!

    Thank you for excusing my error about where you live. :) And, thank you for continuing to read our blog. It is truly a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete