Welcome to the Williams Family Blog!

Now that you have found us, we invite you to return often for more adventures!


We Came To Play!

We Came To Play!

Opening Magic Kingdom

Opening Magic Kingdom

Monday, December 4, 2023

Williams Family: Disney Retirement Job Update--It's Been Three Weeks

 

It has been three weeks since I began employment with the Disney Company.  I have experienced two days of training at Disney University, one day of training at the Magic Kingdom that required business casual dress and comfortable shoes for our four-hour tour.  And, have completed four days of training in costume (uniform) at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.  I have two more to go including an assessment day.  

Most of the training days have been early or opening shifts beginning at 5:30, 5:45, or 6:30.  I have a closing shift coming up.

The husband has been dropping me off at the Magic Kingdom Cast Member parking lot bus stop as I take the internal shuttle to the utilidors, then walk to the Frontierland door to get upstairs and "on stage", then walk to the breakroom to store bag, lunch, use the restroom, clock in for my shift, etc.  We leave the house 45 minutes before I am expected to clock in at my station.

The learning curve has been steep.  Many new words, phrases, and procedures to demonstrate in action and/or on an assessment.  The physical part has been challenging, too.  As a morning track walker, it required climbing to the top of the second highest mountain in Florida.  I will say as a guest there would be more walking and standing than I am experiencing as a Cast Member due to the rotations through positions, about 45 minutes in each, and the breaks (two paid 15 minute breaks and a 45 minute unpaid lunch).

Speaking of pay, hourly Cast Members experienced a raise as of December 3.  Either $1.00 more per hour, bringing the hourly rate to $18, or a raise of 4%, whichever was higher.  Automatic deposit of weekly paychecks (EPCOT--Every Paycheck Comes On Thursdays) can be directed to up to four accounts and I am using our account here in Florida as well as a new account at Partners, a credit union for Disney employees, which offered specials for new enrollees. 

Fellow Cast Members have been friendly, welcoming, and helpful.  It is definitely a team endeavor to operate Big Thunder safely and efficiently and offer great service to guests.  The question I get most often is, "Are you new to the company?" I'm sure my age has something to do with it as I am on the older end of the scale for the group.  When I respond with yes, some are curious about what I did before and I say I worked in education.  One of the trainers told me that he could see that as I had a nurturing vibe. 

Serving guests is the best part, for me.  I enjoy interacting with guests and am still amazed when they call me by name as I forget I'm wearing a nametag.  Had a guest from Omaha try to figure out where I was from and Highway 34 sealed the deal. 

There are many positions to rotate through on the mountain and I have done all of them except the specific closing roles. There are some that are easier and more enjoyable for me and interestingly, the opinions vary among the Cast Members as to which positions they prefer. 

As I was riding to work at 5:00 am in the dark, I was thinking that there are guests waking up right now and getting ready to come to the Magic Kingdom.  Some, possibly for the first and/or only time.  And, it is up to me to make sure their visit is magical!

P.S.  No pictures as phones aren't allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment