Welcome to the Williams Family Blog!

Now that you have found us, we invite you to return often for more adventures!


We Came To Play!

We Came To Play!

Opening Magic Kingdom

Opening Magic Kingdom

Friday, July 8, 2022

Williams Family: Retirement Job #1

Retirement, schmirement!  For the first time in a long time, I can try new jobs, roles, experiences, like Jennifer Lopez' character in 'Monster-in-Law' without worry of "losing the farm" so to speak.  And, as a friend said, "Build my resume for Disney."

On day two of retirement, I applied for three part-time, non-IPERS employer, jobs.  Two applications were online. The third application required an in-person pick-up and I decided to complete the application right there and had a brief interview when submitting the application.  

By the end of the day, I had an email exchange for one of the online applications to set up a time for a phone interview the next day.  The phone interview seemed to go well, and I was told that an in-person interview would be next but there would be a week's delay due to a vacation. 

On the fourth day of retirement, I had a call with an offer of employment. "Yes", was my reply.  

Retirement job #1 is being a member of the grounds crew at a local golf course.  It means reporting early in the morning, learning the course, golf terms, and learning how to operate a zero-turn mower. 

The benefits: outside, beautiful scenery, can wear earplugs or earbuds to listen to music or books, early start on the day, and very friendly people! Even a few familiar faces!  The stress is minimal--not running out of gas and keeping the line are the biggest worries. That and being mindful of golfers!   

Why do I want to work?  Trying new things is at the top of the list.  Then there's keeping busy.  Pay is nice. I can make up for some rewards, bonuses, and incentives that I wasn't eligible or didn't qualify for. 

There has been no response to the third application, submitted online.  

Stay-tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment