A Williams Family Blog reader is about to embark on a holiday cruise on the Disney Dream—how lucky are they!?! Anyway, their questions about their upcoming adventure, got me thinking about Castaway Cay, Disney Cruise Line’s private island in The Bahamas.
When I get whining about missing “my ship” and dreaming of sailing with Mickey, one of the things I am usually missing is the pit of paradise offered by Castaway Cay. We have been to Castaway Cay—pronounced “key”—six times, which is more times than we have sailed thanks to a couple of “double dip” itineraries that had more than one stop at the island.
Here’s our top 10 list of why Castaway Cay is a favorite:
1. The ship pulls right up to the dock or pier. No tendering. Grab your Key to the World Card and photo ID and walk right off. Walk right back onto the ship anytime you like—well, before it sails anyway.
2. Transportation throughout the island is free. Hop a tram for a ride to the Family Beach, Pelican Point, or Serenity Bay. Walking is also free. Bike rental has a fee though.
3. Dining on the island is like dining on the ship—it’s included! Lunch is served at three locations on the island and has the best BBQ ribs we have ever tasted. The ice cream machines and soda station are also available. The boy loves getting an ice cream cone for each hand and testing all of the flavors. I don’t worry about messes as he is in a swimsuit and can be hosed down.
4. Pelican Plunge. Take a swim out to the island for some water play and enjoy the water slides. Pelican Plunge a bit too adventurous? Then try Spring-A-Leak, a fresh water play area near the bike rental station.
5. Pristine beaches—the smells, the sounds, the feel of the breeze. This along with an abundance of lounge chairs, even some hammocks make Castaway Cay even more like paradise.
6. Think you’ll be bored? Think again! There’s plenty to do. . . fishing, snorkeling, bike riding, kayaking, hiking, running, along with swimming and splashing. We’ve parasailed and snorkeled with stingrays, too.
7. Massages. Yes, there are private massage cabanas available. Just schedule on-line or on the ship.
8. Shopping. Even this tiny island offers shopping experiences for guests. There are gadgets and gizmos a plenty, even whoozits and whatzits galore in the various shops on the island.
9. One of my personal favorites. . . photo ops. It is almost as if Disney Cruise Line said, “Let’s design an island that is picture perfect” and that is exactly what they did. Everywhere you look it is a feast for the eyes and the camera lens.
10. And, it wouldn’t be a Disney island without a few of your favorite friends also enjoying paradise!
There you have it, our top 10 reasons why Castaway Cay is a family favorite.
When we sailed an itinerary that did not have a stop at the island, we felt as if our cruise was “missing something” and that something was Castaway Cay. We can’t wait to go back!