Welcome to the Williams Family Blog!

Now that you have found us, we invite you to return often for more adventures!


We Came To Play!

We Came To Play!

Opening Magic Kingdom

Opening Magic Kingdom

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

It’s Mother’s Day!  As a mom, it is an opportunity to reflect on my role in raising our son and coincidentally, yesterday was full of opportunities.

A Saturday in May brings soccer games and this week-end’s games were at “home”.  As the boy was getting ready he asked about the number of games his team would be playing.  One.  He asked if we were walking to the field.  Yes.  I loved that he asked that as this makes him both environmentally minded, but health conscious, too.  And, we usually walk to the fields if we are playing at “home” as the fields are nearby.  He also asked for his sunglasses, which demonstrated his planning.

Later in the day, after his game, I took a turn volunteering the concession stand and the boy came with me.  He helped at the counter and showed people to the restrooms when they asked.  But it wasn’t just helping, he was “selling.”  He wanted to give a holler to folks as they passed with “snacks here, get your snacks”—a sales technique he has picked up a minor league baseball games he has attended with is Uncle John.  And, when people did come to purchase, he would then try to “up sell” with a “would you like _________, with your ___________ “ in an attempt to get them to purchase something else.  It worked!  Who could resist the charms of this dimpled and freckled ten-year-old?

A two hour shift was more than he wanted and even after playing on the playground, he opted to walk home—independent as ever.  His dad was gone as he was volunteering at an event at our local event center, and it would be less than 30 minutes before I would arrive, so I knew he would be okay.  He had a key to get into the house, but had difficulty managing it, so what did he do?  He went to our neighbor’s and asked for help!  Excellent problem solving!  I arrived as our neighbor was leaving and thanked them for their help.  (We will practice using the key.)

What makes me smile as a mom is his confidence, his independence, and his enthusiasm.  Those are the greatest gifts this Mother’s Day!

4 comments:

  1. When do you leave for Disney? I have a huge favor to ask

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael,
      We go in a couple of months. What do you need?

      Delete
  2. I bought my mom a jacket on my last trip and it is way to big and she has decided to go in Dec (her first time) and she wants to wear this jacket. I have searched the internet for it I even contacted guest services for help. I was wondering if you could look for it when you go and if you see it buy it and bring it back or take it to a cast member to ship to me? told you huge favor : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael,
      Send me an email at toddandjody@mchsi.com and we can figure out the details.

      Delete