Welcome to the Williams Family Blog!

Now that you have found us, we invite you to return often for more adventures!


We Came To Play!

We Came To Play!

Opening Magic Kingdom

Opening Magic Kingdom

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Williams Family: It's Hard to Be Fake in a Swimsuit

 

On a sandbar in The Bahamas

While attending an HOA Board meeting the other day, a friendly neighbor greeted me with, "We finally see each other in clothes."  I responded with a smile, "Shhh. . . don't tell." The exchange was humorous and telling about when we see each other which is at the pool.  And, it got me thinking about relationships from and formed at pools, lakes, beaches; any location while wearing a swimsuit. 

Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Wave Pool

I have lived a significant part of my life in a swimsuit. Lake Wapello visits as a young child, YWCA and YMCA swim lessons, summers hanging out at the municipal swimming pool, high school Shark Club (synchronized swimming), college pool and lake days, and summer camp counselor supervisor assigned to the pool. My first apartment had a community pool and when I moved from there, I spent summer days at the local pool.  Our son grew up going to pools, beaches, and waterparks both locally and as a traveler. When the pandemic hit, an inflatable pool in the backyard was my go-to and now we have a beautiful community pool that is "ours" and often, mine, as the only visitor.  And, ocean beaches a short drive away.  

Tubing the Martha Brae River in Jamaica 

I was told once that I look confident in a bathing suit.  Agree.  I have a relationship with myself that allows me to be confident in a swimsuit. I have witnessed others sit on the sidelines viewing the watery fun from a distance for varying reasons: fear of water, uncomfortable in a swimsuit, etc. And while I have been many shapes and sizes over the last half-century and more, there has not been hesitation to put on a swimsuit and enjoy.  I want others to feel the same!

AquaDuck, Disney Fantasy

It has been fun to meet other residents in our community pool.  We obviously have something in common--the enjoyment of our pool--and upon conversation, we typically find more in common.  With a single layer of clothing, typically no make-up, little or no jewelry, and usually a head covering, it is difficult to put on airs or be less than authentic when meeting new people at the pool.  It's hard to be fake in a swimsuit. . . and easy to get to know the real person. 

A lazy river at a Disney waterpark 


No comments:

Post a Comment