Welcome to the Williams Family Blog!

Now that you have found us, we invite you to return often for more adventures!


We Came To Play!

We Came To Play!

Opening Magic Kingdom

Opening Magic Kingdom

Monday, November 7, 2022

Williams Family: Retirement Job #2



"Switchboard Operator" can conjure many images, including the one above.  My second retirement job is manning the switchboard at the local hospital.   It doesn't look exactly like the picture above, but there are multiple cords and a headset!  There are also multiple computer monitors and phones. I'm heading into my third month in the part time position.

The training for the job took multiple days and included specific, hands-on training, online training, and general hospital orientation.  There were also background checks and medical tests prior to employment.  

Benefits:  Great people and working conditions.  The pay isn't bad, either, with a "shift 2" bonus on weekends and there is an employer contribution to a 401K.  The hours also fit with retirement job #1 when I was working both jobs.  Sadly, the golf course is no longer in need of me as the season winds down.  There have also been opportunities to work more shifts/hours.  

Another benefit is helping people.  On the end of every phone call is someone needing something.  And, I am able to help the team I work with, too.  

My supervisors are appreciative and are in disbelief that I will be working for 4 more months.  I was upfront about the timeline and future plans during the interview process.  As one supervisor put it, "I was hoping you would change your mind."  Hmmm. . . nope. 

Wasn't it Mary Poppins who said, "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun"?  That is what it is like to learn and perform retirement job #2.  I'm grateful for the investment the hospital made in me and for the opportunity to serve.

I wonder what retirement job #3 will be.  In the meantime, collecting experiences and building the resume for Disney!

1 comment: