Welcome to the Williams Family Blog!

Now that you have found us, we invite you to return often for more adventures!


We Came To Play!

We Came To Play!

Opening Magic Kingdom

Opening Magic Kingdom

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Williams Family: I'm Officially Retired

 


It's a wrap!

After 33 years as a public school educator, the keys are turned in and I am retired.

What a ride!  3 school districts:  Ballard Huxley, Ankeny, and Ottumwa--all in Iowa.  8 schools:  Slater Elementary in Slater, Iowa; Southeast and Northeast Elementaries in Ankeny, Iowa; and Wildwood, Lincoln, James, Wilson, and Horace Mann Elementaries in Ottumwa, Iowa.  A classroom teacher for 9 years: 3 years teaching kindergarten students, 4 years teaching third grade students, and 2 years teaching fourth grade students.  An elementary principal both K-6 and K-5 for 24 years.  Thousands of students and parents, hundreds of staff. 

I've seen programs and initiatives come, go, and come again.  I've been subpoenaed, threatened, hit, bit, kicked, tripped, and hugged.  Oh, so many hugs! 

I've hired and fired. Transported students and staff to the emergency room. Managed water main breaks, gas leaks, and power outages. 

I've weathered extreme heat and cold to make sure students departed safely. And, ridden in the back seat of the police SUV in the middle of the night to look for a lost child. 

I've pulled teeth, stopped nose bleeds, stabilized potential broken bones with magazines, book bags, garbage bags, and duct tape, and transported students home to get personal care products when parents couldn't be reached.  I've held and hugged distraught students, staff, and parents. 

I've experienced an Amber Alert for a student who didn't make it to school, needed a Notice of Injunction for a supervisor, and have been called names by parents both in person and on social media.

I've responded to late night and week-end vandalism, playground fires, alarms, and break-ins.  My favorite story was the night the police had me lead them into a school with a sounding alarm armed with flashlights.  I flipped switches and turned on all the lights, reducing the suspense significantly. 

I've listened and heard about affairs, marriages, divorces, babies, lost babies, deaths, illnesses, and medical procedures.  Helping when I could and if needed.  The principal's office is sometimes a confessional.   

There was a year of running two schools.  There was a year of being the adjunct principal at preschool while managing another elementary.  There were years of coordinating guidance counselors, talented and gifted program, and mentor teacher program. 

As a teacher, I attended two National Conferences--in New Orleans and Phoenix. As a principal, I attended one National Conference--in St. Louis--as a presenter with a great team of teachers. 

A B.A. and two advanced degrees and I worked two, sometimes three jobs for many years.  There were the Wal-Mart years and the years of teaching graduate classes to teachers. 

Will I miss it?  

I'll miss the connections with students, families, and colleagues, the people.  Well, most of the people.  I'll miss the routine and purpose. I'll miss the challenge of solving new problems, the feel of a smooth-running school, the anticipation of what needs to happen next, and serving people well.

The list of what I won't miss is long. 

A third of a century in service. Over half my life so far. Grateful for the opportunity. 

It's time for new adventures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment